Northern Virginia Intergroup (NVI)
The Northern Virginia Intergroup (NVI) is a service resource maintained by more than 400 Alcoholic Anonymous groups in our area. Our primary purpose is to help the alcoholic who still suffers. NVI works with the groups in the area to help carry the message. NVI does this by:
- Provides 24-hour telephone contact for AA information.
- Maintains a schedule of AA meetings in the area, which lists more than 800 meetings a week.
- Stocks Conference approved and Grapevine literature for groups and individuals to purchase.
- Stocks Sobriety Chips for groups and individuals to purchase.
- Maintains a list of members willing to do 12th step work, such as give rides, talk, and provide temporary sponsorship.
NVI also has committees to help carry the message. The committees include:
- Archives: Maintains records of AA history in the Northern Virginia Area.
- Cooperation with the Professional Community: Informs professionals of what AA is.
- Correctional Facilities: Carries the message of AA to jails and detention centers.
- Literature: Upon request, provides Conference approved and Grapevine literature for sale at AA events in the Northern Virginia Area.
- Newsletter: Monthly the “UNITY LIFELINE” is available to groups to inform of what is happening at NVI and of AA events in the area.
- Phone Watch: Provides training and scheduling of telephone volunteers.
- Public Information: Upon request provides information about AA to the public in our area.
- Treatment Facilities: Carries the message of AA to treatment centers and detox centers.
- Website Committee: NVI also has an information website: www.nvintergroup.org
The Northern Virginia Intergroup holds a monthly meeting the first Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm to discuss problems & solutions with our area as well as the financial position of NVI. Each group is asked to elect an Intergroup Representative to attend the meeting each month. Each group is entitled to one vote on any issues regarding NVI. The Northern Virginia Intergroup (NVI) is here to work with, and to serve, the groups.